Tuesday, September 18, 2012

venetian engagement.


It happened. Just when I thought the summer getaway in Italy couldn’t be any more amazing, my boy threw a unexpected curve ball - and it just so happened to come in a little blue box. I never imagined I'd be one of those girls that boasts the story of their engagement, but here I am. Doing it. Deal with it. But, I do think that the romantic Venetian backdrop makes the story worth a shameless share. It was the absolute perfect end to a vacation with my favorite person ever.



Venice was nothing short of magical. We stayed for the week at St. Clemente Palace – a hotel on it’s own private island, a quick water taxi ride away from the city. I always knew Venice was close to water, but never realized it was literally in water. Instead of streets and sidewalks, canals split each block, and rather than buses and trains you catch boats and gondalas here and there. Amazing. St. Clemente was an absolute dreamland. The island was impeccably kept, the service was fantastic and the island was filled with bunnies. Yes, bunnies. The fluffiest, cutest things you have ever seen. It literally felt like you were stepping off the boat and into a dreamland.


 We were so exhausted from traveling that we decided to stay on the island on one of our last days, sipping Bellinis and Spritz by the pool. For dinner we went to the hotel restaurant, made up of a few tables along the waterfront. We dined just as the sun was setting on the city. After a wine-drenched four course meal, and a delicious plate of desserts – because that’s what you do on vacation – I was ready for a Negroni nightcap and bed. But, just as we were finishing desert, Josh surprised me with a question that has made me giddy to this day. And now, I get to marry my best friend and the sweetest dude I've ever met. Not a shabby way to end the trip. 

{Right before he popped the Q.}


{Dining at sunset.}


{I mean, who could say no to this guy?}



{Our wonderful new friend, Giovanna. We had met her sister in Milan and stopped by their family restaurant, Al Vagon. We were welcomed like long, lost family and treated to one of the best Italian meals of the trip. Deliziosa.}


{Giovanna's mom makes one killer dessert.}





{View from the gondola.}









{Bellisimo.}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...